01/12/2008

out of order


I wanted to show you this great hat I made out of desperation, fury and icelandic lopi-wool after almost having frozen my head off when biking orangutangboy to daycare in these frosty mornings. My regular hats simply did not work. I thought that the sheep on Iceland must be experts on keeping the wet and windy out, so I sat down and knit until the hat was done. It is ubelievably warm, water- and windproof - and winter is much more welcome already. I recommend lopi if you have similar winter-troubles!
...............
I know you can not see much of it on the photo above, though, which is just as blurry and messy as everything else at the moment; I am sort of happy somewhere, but I desperately need:
...............
1. my sister to come back from Bangkok
2. the four of us to get well from a wintercold that chased us to bed for a week
3. sleep
...............
I get so many nice and sweet comments these days - thank you all!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where would one get lopi wool? Lovely!
Do tell us when your sister arrives back. Are you able to speak on the phone? The poor lady.
Thinking of you.
Joxx

Line said...

Thank you, Jo!

I was lucky to get a big pile of lopi yarn from a second hand store some years ago, but I am looking for a place to buy via internet also. Alafos is the label. I will tell you if I find a good place - maybe someone else know?

Anonymous said...

Hello!
The name Alafos helped! I have found this store:
www.strickstudio-knoller.de (German, will ship internationally)
jo
x

hannna said...

i didn't see the photo yet, blogger is slow. but i'm buying an icelandic wool too, it's called Létt-Lopi. does lopi mean something? it's like light version... there are wonderful colours of it, and it is sold in most yarn shops here. i will write you e-mail, when i get a moment! thanks!
(and actually, Jo too, i will... it always takes a while if i want to find some kind of perfect moment)

Bohemian girl said...

I have to say I like that you knit the hat when you felt cold and didn't run to the nearest store to bye one. You sit and patiently knit it! (Of course, you wouldn't get lopi kind most likely).

Ritva said...

that photo is great!

Jill said...

hope you will feel better soon. drink lots of tea! you are probably already doing that :) love the hat!

K. said...

oh, I need a warm hat like that! Otherwise, my advise is lemon with ginger...

Hope your sister arrived safely home. My eldest brother and his family are just about moving to Bangkok... All their belongings are already sent, but they have to stay at a hotel now, not knowing when they can go. Crazy!

Anonymous said...

So, at least you one of your wish came through... Happy back home after 40 hours travel, now sleep, knekkebrød med brunost and tea to catch the cold coming is the best I can get! The fireplace is used for the first time and snow makes it white and quiet here, BIG contraste to busy Bangkok!

Anonymous said...

Hi Line, well the sheep know, what is good :)
Hope your wishes will come true.

Line said...

Thank you all for good advice and well-wishes, and for useful link, Jo!

Hanna - I think lopi means only "icelandic wool" but it is of a special kind as I understand- two different fibres, water-repellent etc etc.

Karen - hope things work out for your brother - so annoying this thing!