18/11/2008

a week for two: new mittens




I remember sitting in my tiny cityapartment many years ago knitting a sweater out of a million leftovers on extremely thin needles. I can't believe I finished it, actually, as I was into totally different things at the moment. In fact, I didn't knit at all, even though I have always known how to, - I was a starving performance artist with lots of important things going on - people, parties, artsy fartsy stuff. Thinking back, it is indeed hard to believe that I found time to knit a whole stripey sweater on extremely thin needles, but it is even harder to believe that I actually managed to shrink it the first time I washed it. Just a tiny bit, but enough to make me feel claustrophobic wearing it. So it turned into one of those garments that just follow along year after year, that you know you will never wear, but that still is too special to be thrown or given away.

Today I took a big step. Admitting that I will never ever use the sweater, I cut up the treasure and turned it into new mittens - one pair for me, one pair for tiger. That way, we will see a lot more of the lovely stripes, I thought. And do they not seem to fit this landscape just perfect?

8 comments:

Bohemian girl said...

Yes, I guess it happens quite often, knitting that takes for ever, then damaging it in some short but determining accident, refusing to throw it away and having to look at it every time you open a wardrobe. How glad I am to read that, I am not the only clumsy knitter in the world. Glad that you got out of it with two pairs of mittens!

Anonymous said...

But, oh, what a good idea! Tiger looks like one could just eat him up all wrapped in wool! I think you made the perfect decision.

hannna said...

wonderful, Line! super cute mittens, the colours are perfect. and again: curious! send me your cv! your knitting could've been a performance in fluxus style. 6 hours of knitting on stage or something.

the photos look nice: cold colours and warm wool.

SigrĂșn said...

The mittens look really nice. The coulours are awesome. I also love the first picture. It looks like a place where I really would like to go at the moment.
I'm also trying to knit woolly socks, what I haven't done for maybe 20 years. It's coming slowly and I'm detrement to finish them off.

Laura in Paris said...

I love giving a new life to old garnments. Your idea is great.

Jill said...

the sweater has made a great reincarnation! those stripes are lovely...hope your hands and the tiger's will be nice and cozy!

Line said...

thank you all for the sweetest comments!

Anonymous said...

hihi, I remember this from loong time ago... finally finishedd project...